Arnaldo Pomodoro (1926 – )
Cement and painted steel, height 500 cm
Arnaldo Pomodoro lives and works in Milan. He was born in Morciano di Romagna, Italy in 1926. From the mid-1940s until 1957 Pomodoro served as a consultant for the restoration of public buildings in Pesaro, advising on the restoration of buildings after World War II, while also studying stage design and working as a goldsmith with his brother Giٍ Pomodoro. In 1960 he met David Smith and Louise Nevelson during his first trip to the USA, and in 1961 he joined the group Continuità.
In the 1960s Pomodoro became preoccupied with the advance of technology, developing the innovative notion of ‘negative spatiality’, whereby a void became a sculptural form. He explored these themes via his main motifs of the free-standing column, disc–rotor, cube and sphere. Like the other works in Jeddah by Pomodoro, Circular Mass was purchased from the Marlborough Gallery in Rome through the auspices of the architect Julio Lafuente.
November 16, 2014
Jeddah Sculpture Park